[Homeroast] Cold brewing?

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Mon Jul 11 18:24:26 CDT 2011

For cold coffee I prefer icing hot coffee brewed on the strong side.
I like bright coffees for iced coffee. (you account for the ice you
are going to melt in chilling the coffee as part of the coffee-water
ratio).

As for cold brew, I am not a fan, in general. I have tasted some
pretty nice stuff, but never any that made it seems a better brew
option than using hot water. It tastes duller to me, syrupy,
liquor-like, less aromatic, heavy, lacking liveliness. That could
work with a Sumatra, but not with the brighter coffees I prefer cold.
So I just don't do it, basically.

As everyone else has repeated, the quality of the coffee definitely
does matter... absolutely. Unless you are just roasting to char
levels.

Tom

>Hi all,
>
>I was contemplating attempting to cold-brew some coffee (I'm branching
>out in my old(er) age). Some of what I've read suggests that there is
>little/no difference between using store-bought and "expensive"
>coffees when using this method. Is there anyone on the list that
>regularly cold-brews their home-roasted coffee and/or has done a
>comparison with store-bought coffee?
>
>I realize there MAY be a bit of selection bias in my choice of audience... :)
>
>Thanks,
>
>D.

-Tom