[Homeroast] OT: 4th of July drool

Mike Chester mchet at charter.net
Mon Jul 4 11:33:42 CDT 2011

Absolutely agree.  I am a certified BBQ judge with the Kansas City BBQ
Society the largest sanctioning organization in the US for BBQ contests.  I
have taken classes in their standards and how to properly judge BBQ and miKe
is absolutely correct about rib tenderness.  A rib with the meat falling off
the bone will receive lower marks as overcooked. When you bite a properly
cooked rib, the meat will be tender but will not pull off of the bone.  When
you look at it, there should be a perfect impression of your bite remaining
in the piece.  We give 3 scores for each entry; appearance, tenderness
(which I prefer to call texture) and flavor.  These scores are weighted
differently with flavor being the most important, but no matter how good it
tastes, you have no chance of winning unless the other scores are decent.
The only thing that miKe said that I slightly disagree with is he stated
absolute temperatures for doneness and each piece of meat cooks differently
with some getting done at a lower or higher temp.  I know that he was only
giving average finish temps, but he did not say that.  It sounds like a
smart ass answer, but the correct answer to how long do I cook it or to what
temp, is "Cook it until it's done."  In a butt, you should be able to poke a
fork into the meat and twist it with relatively little resistance.  If it is
a bone-in roast, the bone should slide out easily.  For ribs, when you pick
up the slab, it should sag and just begin to crack where the support ends.
If a piece breaks off, it is over done.  If it sticks straight out, it is
not done enough.
I also agree on sauce.  A properly cooked piece of meat can stand on its own
and sauce is just a condiment to enhance the flavor.  A good sauce cannot
save a poorly cooked piece of meat, but a bad sauce or too much sauce can
ruin a good piece of meat.  The biggest mistake people make is drowning the
meat in sauce, so all you can taste is sauce.
Having said all this, home cooking is not the same as competition cooking,
and its beauty is you can do it exactly how you like it.  If you prefer
falling off the bone tender, cook them that way.  If you prefer your butt
sliceable instead of pull-able, cook it less.  (some comp cooks submit
sliced butt rather than pulled and it is perfectly acceptable, but the
margin for error is smaller with sliced, so most pull or chop their butts)

Mike Chester