[Homeroast] OT: 4th of July drool

miKe mcKoffee mcKona at comcast.net
Mon Jul 4 02:48:50 CDT 2011

Glad you enjoyed your babybacks. There's a fine line between falling of the
bone and being able to twist the bone free with meat having good texture.
Ribs to get really good texture and smoke infusion take 4 to 6 hours low &
slow depending on the type of rib. (Babyback vs St. Louis mostly for pork)
Higher temp grilling is for finishing a glaze. Yes, I AM a Q snob :) And
there's oft' more than one way to skin a cat!

Get yourself to Q competition sometime and you'll see what I mean. Flavor
counts most assuredly, and part of eating enjoyment is proper texture. And
seasoning is king. Unlike what commercials say, sauce doesn't make the Q,
it's like a garnishment. FWIW a good Q restaurant doesn't take short cuts
like pressure cooking just so the meat falls off the bone but yes some do,
just not good ones. A good rib isn't mushy (too high finish temp or cooked
under pressure or foil wrapped which can work ok but not too long and not
the way I rock), isn't overly chewy either (too low finish temp and/or too
fast cook). The meat is buttery moist yet with a good chew texture. Same for
pulled pork, which doesn't need cutting, couldn't if you wanted to,
literally pulls apart. But ribs a bit more texture, more firmness, than
pulled pork. ('bout 5f finish lower ie 195f for ribs 200f for butts)

Unless you like yours different with lots of chew then disregard all of the
above, just don't enter 'em in a competition!

Slave to the Bean  miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/

http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/