[Homeroast] OT: 4th of July drool

Terry Stockdale terry at terrystockdale.com
Sun Jul 3 19:31:08 CDT 2011

My son has to work Monday afternoon & evening, so we had our cookout
today (Sunday).  Three slabs of babyback ribs, dusted with kosher salt
and fine black pepper, seared on the gas grill (total about 14 minutes
with lots of movement and turning, with smoke, too), then off to one
side of the grill while two burners on the other end applied indirect
heat for another 70 minutes.  One of those two burners was under the
smoker box, applying some flame to the wild cherry chunks that I used
for flavoring.  No sauce.  Just meat, salt, pepper, heat and smoke.

These were some of the best ribs I've ever had, let alone cooked.  A
long time ago, I became a coffee snob courtesy of the homeroasting the
good stuff from Sweet Maria's.  I can tolerate coffee "out" but seldom
order it in restaurants.  I've  become a rib snob, too - same thing, I
can tolerate ribs at restaurants, but find that most restaurants
concentrate on "falling off the bone" and not flavor.  Ugh.

Once the meal was over, I sat back to enjoy a single origin espresso of
Brazil Joao de Campos Yellow Catuai.  Yum.  I've been using it for
Americano's until now.  The kitchen is progressing - new cabinets are
in, countertops and floors not yet, so the Vivaldi II is still idle.
Good thing I didn't sell my Silvia!

Terry Stockdale
http://terrystockdale.com/coffee