[Homeroast] OT: 4th of July drool

miKe mcKoffee mcKona at comcast.net
Sun Jul 3 18:28:04 CDT 2011

Sent out late morning but forgot to send to list...just in case anyone's
gonna be in the area!

Continuing the antithesis roasting style of coffee, that be low and slow.
Yesterday got 40# of boneless skinless chicken thighs trimmed and cherry
wood smoke grilled in two 20# flights of 2 1/2 hours each. FWIW an hour at
180f then upped smoker temp to 225f for the rest of cook. Turned out great,
still need chopping and the apricot finish sauce made.

Got the 4, 41# total, pork butts on about 12:30 last night/this morning. My
butts get a blend of pecan/apple/maple for their low-n-slow smoke cook, 180f
'til got up 7am upped to adjust to 225f. Butts were progressing nicely
smallest of the 4 up to about 145f then, now 195f 5f from finish, another
half hour or so. After resting and pulling butts will be finished with a
Caribbean style Q sauce for the sliders. There will also be Nathan doggies
slow smoke grilled Monday using same blend as butts. (doggies "slow" is more
like 30 minutes not 3 or 10 hours!)

Two gallons of my baked beans going in the oven for about 6 hours shortly.
And of course huge batch of my infamous macaroni potato salad to make.

Vegetarians you've not been forgotten! Bry and Sarah are doing smoke grilled
fresh mozzarella, roma tomato, basil and red onion pizzas! Homemade dough of
course, brushed with EVOO. I may be a "king of Q" but gonna munch some of
them myself too!

Oh, and while the gauntlet was thrown down all over town for the Latte Art
Competition, Katie threw down a homemade pie gauntlet of her own:)

PS added now. All butts finally off and resting yet to be pulled, sauced and
vac bagged for easy heating tomorrow. (vac bags in simmering water) Just
finished the 40# of chicken turned into 7 vac bags about 1/2 gallon each of
the smoked chopped chicken. Apricot sauce turned out killer. Confession: for
years have been using Traegers Apricot Q sauce 'cuz we really like it and
it's easy. Not this time, mine from scratch turned out just as good if not
better.

Slave to the Bean  miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/