[Homeroast] First roasts in the QM3

Robert Bedwell rlb at triad.rr.com
Mon Jan 31 16:24:23 CST 2011

Frank.....Our ambient temps were close.  This was my second roast but the first one took around 15 - 20 minutes for it to heat up roast temp of 392F.  Also, the drum on my roaster was double insulated.   When you stated it took several minutes for your to pre heat to 200C  I become concerned about the 15-20 minutes that it took mine to reach this temp.
I did record the temps in 30 second increments and the second roast was much better at 8.5 amps vs 7.5 for the first one.  Never got to second crack.  I used the trier and the color and the skin was where I like it.

What temperature are you seeing second crack please?

I have two thermocouples installed and ready to hook up the Omega to Artisan but I am with you on getting the M3 learning curve behind me before adding anymore variables.

Today, they don't waste time with the kisses!!!!

Bob

Ethiopian Organic Shakiso Sidamo Maduro - 200gm     -    Quest M3    -    Jan 30, 2011   -  Temp 58F

			Fahrenheit
Time		Temperature
Minutes		Rate of Rise			Temperature Range

3  -  4			29.2 			253.9  -  283.1
4  -  5			21.6				283.1  -  304.7
5  -  6			18.2				304.7  -  322.9
6  -  7			15.6				322.9  -  338.5
7  -  8			14.4				338.5  -  352.9
8  -  9			12.1				352.9  -  365.0
9  -  10			11.9 			365.0  -  379.6
10-  11			13.9				379.6  -  393.5*
11- 12			11.4				393.5  -  404.9
12- 13			8.0				404.9  -  412.9
13- 14			7.0				412.9  -  419.9

First Crack at 389.6F
Ended Roast at 419.9F

	• Temp at start of roast = 392F
	• Used 8.5 Amp during entire roast
	• 1 minute after beans inserted temp was 225