[Homeroast] First roasts in the QM3

Robert Bedwell rlb at triad.rr.com
Mon Jan 31 10:59:51 CST 2011


Thank you Jeff.  I don't have much experience with electricity but what you have stated make logical sense to me.  The next window for roasting is Wednesday and I will see if I can feel any heat from the 12 gauge extension cords.  

I will post my findings.

Thanks again,

Bob

On Jan 31, 2011, at 11:22 AM, Jeff Bensen wrote:

> Bob -
> 
> I believe Hank is steering you correctly. From the Quest M3 manual (page 3):
> 
> "The extended wires and adapters may reduce the power. Try not to use them. If it is necessary to use the extended wires or the adapters, please use the thicker wires and the plugs and sockets which are able to afford high current."
> 
> Reading through the broken English, it appears they are saying 'if you need to use an extension cord, use a heavy gauge that can handle substantial current.
> 
> Hank's suggestion to feel if the wire is getting hot is a reasonable way to judge if your extension cord is adequate.
> 
> Disclaimer: I'm not a degreed engineer, but I am an 'engineering specialist' (glorified technician) who has worked in electronics for 30+ years (i.e.: not an expert, but qualified to play one on TV).
> 
> -- Jeff Bensen
>   Palm Bay, FL
> 
> 
> 
> At 08:51 AM 1/31/2011, Robert Bedwell wrote:
> 
>> Thanks Hank...didn't think of seeing if the cord gets hot.  However I believe with the Quest I can easily go back to using a much shorter extension cord and perhaps not one at all.
>> The reason that I used a longer one was to get closer to the garage entrance for easier cleanup of of chaff from the Hottop.   This is not going to be an issue with the Quest...thankfully!
>> 
>> Bob
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> On Jan 31, 2011, at 6:04 AM, Hank Perkins wrote:
>> 
>> > Well I am not an engineer.  But I would expect not.  If you built it
>> > out of romex I would say you should be good.  One way to check is to
>> > see if the cord gets hot at all.  If not, then I would say you should
>> > be ok.  Maybe someone who is a real engineer here will weigh in.  I
>> > just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
>> >
>> > On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 3:39 AM, Robert Bedwell <rlb at triad.rr.com> wrote:
>> >> Thank you Hank.
>> >>
>> >> Couple of questions please.
>> >>
>> >> You state, "the issue with the extension cord is gauge issue and resistance issue."
>> >> Since I am using a 12 gauge cord do you think I have too much resistance?
>> >>
>> >> The reason I use the Kill a Watt is the more precise control I have of the amperage.  However, it may be an overkill.
>> >>
>> >> Although I have a Staco Variac I never used it with my Hottop or Variac.  Stable power was never an issue
>> >> with the Hottop and doesn't appear to be with the Quest.
>> >>
>> >> I appreciate all you contribution.
>> >>
>> >> Bob
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>> On 01/30/2011 08:26 PM, Hank Perkins wrote:
>> >>>> The reason why they say not to use a voltage stabilization device is
>> >>>> it is not required.  No computer (voltage sensitive) throttling the
>> >>>> heating element.  The juice goes straight to the heating elements and
>> >>>> some devices can throttle the amperage (think power strip).  Quest is
>> >>>> amperage sensiteve not voltage sensitive.
>> >>>>
>> >>>>  The issue with the extension cord is a gauge issue and resistance issue.
> <snip>
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Good Luck
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Hank
>> >>>>
>> >>>> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Robert Bedwell<rlb at triad.rr.com>  wrote:
> <snip>
>> I am using around 15 feet of 12 gauge extension cords with a Kill-O-Watt and it doesn't appear to be affecting the output.
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> Frank, on the first page of the Quest manual they state, "Do not use any voltage stabilizer or booster on M3."  They don't explain why not to.
> <snip>
>> >>>>> Bob
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> On Jan 30, 2011, at 5:26 PM, Frank Parth wrote:
> <snip>
>> >>>>>> The directions say to plug directly into a wall outlet, not through an extension cord. I'm wondering if this exclusion also applies to the Variac I've had the GC plugged into. I would think it would prevent some of the voltage drop that normally occurs.
> <snip>
>> >>>>>>
>> >>>>>> Frank
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) : http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820




More information about the Homeroast mailing list