[Homeroast] First roasts in the QM3

Robert Bedwell rlb at triad.rr.com
Sun Jan 30 16:57:22 CST 2011

Frank....two of us lost our Quest virginity today!

I did two roasts.  The first one was much too long at around 18minutes.  I started off with the amps at 7.5 and the fan at 4 and once the beans were dropped in at 392F I didn't realize there was enough power to take it to first crack fast enough.  The second roast was 14.5 minutes with a power setting of 8.5 and fan speed of 4-5.  Much better.  Still a learning curve but I definitely learned something today with the Quest compared to the Hottop.   I am impressed with it's quietness and the containment of chaff.  The ambient temperature was 58F today in the garage.  My Quest has been double insulated but don't know what would have happened if it hadn't been.  I am using around 15 feet of 12 gauge extension cords with a Kill-O-Watt and it doesn't appear to be affecting the output.

Frank, on the first page of the Quest manual they state, "Do not use any voltage stabilizer or booster on M3."  They don't explain why not to.

Best to you with the roast.

Unfortunately I didn't even get kissed with this virginity loss!

Bob