[Homeroast] Not sure how to fix this

Greg Hollrigel ghollrigel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 14:10:47 CST 2011

I was going to say the same thing.  Scot, you also did not mention what
profile and bean weight you used.

For example, I just did a roast of 12 oz of Sulawesi.  My Behmor was set at
1lb, P4, B (20 minute roast length).  I'm in my garage with an outlet right
next to the fuse box and no extension cord.  It's about 65-70 degrees
today.  I preheated the beans on 1lb, P1, A for 90 seconds.  I hit 1st crack
15:29, and second about 19:10.  These are very normal numbers with my setup
on P3 and P4.  P1, I can usually get to first crack within 13 minutes.

If using P1, P3, and P4, the only way I have found to prevent running into
2nd crack is to open the door as or just after 1st crack gets going.  I play
around with how I do it, but my current system is fully open for about 30
seconds, then close it so it's open about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch until the
roast ends.  It's been working extremely well.

If you look on these archives, coffeegeek.com and home-barista.com forums,
you'll see lots of tips for extending the time between 1st and 2nd.

I would also question the extension cord since Behmor says not to use it,
but I wouldn't be alarmed with your time until 1st crack.

Keep at it.

Greg