[Homeroast] Not sure how to fix this

Mike Chester mchet at charter.net
Sat Jan 29 13:44:30 CST 2011

First step is to determine if you have a low voltage situation.  Buy or
borrow a voltmeter.  A low end digital can be had for about $10.  Measure
the voltage at the outlet with the roaster off and again with it on full
power.  The difference should be less than 2 volts.  The power company
considers any voltage between 105 V and 130 V to be OK, but that is too much
spread for my taste.  If you are getting over 115 V with load, you wiring is
acceptable.  The target that they shoot for is 117.5 Volts, but seldom hit
it exactly.  With our power grid delivering much more energy than it was
designed to deliver, voltage regulation is not very good in most places.
Most appliance designers know this and design devices to run on a range of
voltages.  I don't own a Behmor, but from what others have said, I believe
that it is sensitive to minor variations in voltage.  There are many Behmor
owners here and they can help more with its specific characteristics and how
to compensate for problems.

Mike Chester