[Homeroast] Not sure how to fix this

Scot Murphy deppitybob at comcast.net
Sat Jan 29 13:12:01 CST 2011

I've brewed three roasts so far (I have two more resting right now) from my Behmor, and...I'm very disappointed. In the first place, I'm not getting first crack until 11 to 13 minutes in, even on the hottest setting. Second, it goes almost directly from first to second crack. Thus I am getting brews that are very weak, somewhat thin, and which require a large amount ground to get any flavor.

I'm guessing that the problem is in the wiring of the house. It's very old and doesn't have really robust wiring to begin with. For instance, I can't run my toaster and my microwave at the same time without tripping a breaker. Very often--and I mean, VERY often--when I tried roasting on the back porch with my SC/TO, when they finally got up to roasting temp they'd trip a breaker if anything else on the same circuit was on at all. Right now I have the Behmor upstairs by a window, though it doesn't smoke up enough that I need to open it, and it's plugged into a long, heavy-duty extension cord that leads to a 3-prong outlet. There's a lot of stuff in between that I don't want to move--it'd be a major effort for me to move the shelves and whatnot just to get closer to the outlet--but that's the only solution I can think of. Besides that, when I first tried it in the living room where it was plugged directly into the outlet, I still had about an 11-minute wait until first crack. That's just crazy.

Is it possible I have a defective Behmor? Is there anything I can do to get it to hit first crack in, say, five minutes?

Scot "as long as I get to keep the bitterness, I'm okay" Murphy