[Homeroast] First time post

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Thu Jan 27 09:49:05 CST 2011

On Jan 27, 2011, at 9:43 AM, Scott Bovelsky <mbovelsk at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a question for the readers. This is my first posting, however, I read the submissions all the time. I have been roasting coffee with a fresh roast for 2-3 years. I am thinking of upgrading to the behmor but am not sure if I should. What are your opinions on going from a fresh roast to the behmor. Thanks.
> Scott

I took a different path from the others.
I used an iRoast2, not a FR, but the lack of control and batch size were the motivation here as well. I got a nice heat gun and went the HG route for a while. I think all homeroasters should try heat gun at least for a while. It is cheap, easy, and very intimate; you have your nose in the roast and controlling the heat is as easy as moving your hand closer or farther.

I still do heat gun roasts but for ultimate control I put a PID in my iRoast. 170g appears to be my limit that way, but I can do back to back REPEATABLE roasts with it with little effort.

HG isn't as repeatable and is strictly an outdoor toy.

-
allon