[Homeroast] Aster Bunna Ethiopian coffee from Addis Ababa

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 12:36:35 CST 2011

When a machine is run by just a specific few people and looks
cobbled-together with coat hangers, (Duesenberg hose clamps) Smart
money doesn't try to improve it. Attempts at repair or rebuilding
often have an undesired effect.

To steam clean might be to destroy. -ro

On 1/21/11, Rich <rich-mail at octoxol.com> wrote:
> That thing needs a real good steam cleaning...
>

> On 01/21/2011 02:27 PM, Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee wrote:
>> Interesting comments. In general the best coffees are not held for the
>> local market, they are exported. So it is very hard to find a coffee in
>> Ethiopia with a cleaner cup flavor. The problem is how they roast too.
>> Look at this machine in Dire Dawa Ethiopia (see the next 5-6 photos
>> after it too - there is one their of typical local Harar coffee with
>> lots of black beans in it):
>> http://www.sweetmarias.com/Ethiopia_Dire_Dawa_Harar_2008/Ethiopia_Dire_Dawa_Harar_2008-Pages/Image63.html
>>

>> Anyway, I like tasting local coffee - even if it isnt the best. It puts
>> things in perspective...
>>
>> Tom
>>
>>> I friend of mine went to Ethiopia to adopt a baby and he brought back 2
>>> kilos of roasted coffee in the bean for me, one normal and one dark.
>>> It is the Aster Bunna mark. Still degassing, and had a nice bloom so it
>>> wasn't all stale.
>>>
>>> As usual, it has that rustic, old world, and odd complexity of an
>>> Ethiopian
>>> DP. However, I could easily taste why this would be a coffee Tom would
>>> reject. In the lighter roast (and hence the one that reveals more flaws),
>>> there is a definite trace of...well...dirt or earthiness. I know too that
>>> the cup consistency is probably going to be low. So the future cups
>>> could be
>>> different. It is still a drinkable cup, but compared to the Jimma, the
>>> old
>>> IMV, Bonko, etc. DP lots that SM has been offering, this is a far distant
>>> cry away. I know I'm spoiled when it comes to coffee, but I don't mind!

Persist in old ways; expect new results - suborn Insanity...