[Homeroast] Aster Bunna Ethiopian coffee from Addis Ababa

Gregg Talton gregg.talton at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 21:38:08 CST 2011

I was recently in Addis and Lake Langano - the only roasters I saw looked
like this... http://bit.ly/fXTBtR

Gregg

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Rich <rich-mail at octoxol.com> wrote:

> That thing needs a real good steam cleaning...
>

> On 01/21/2011 02:27 PM, Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee wrote:
>
>> Interesting comments. In general the best coffees are not held for the
>> local market, they are exported. So it is very hard to find a coffee in
>> Ethiopia with a cleaner cup flavor. The problem is how they roast too.
>> Look at this machine in Dire Dawa Ethiopia (see the next 5-6 photos
>> after it too - there is one their of typical local Harar coffee with
>> lots of black beans in it):
>>
>> http://www.sweetmarias.com/Ethiopia_Dire_Dawa_Harar_2008/Ethiopia_Dire_Dawa_Harar_2008-Pages/Image63.html
>>

>> Anyway, I like tasting local coffee - even if it isnt the best. It puts
>> things in perspective...
>>
>> Tom
>>
>>  I friend of mine went to Ethiopia to adopt a baby and he brought back 2
>>> kilos of roasted coffee in the bean for me, one normal and one dark.
>>> It is the Aster Bunna mark. Still degassing, and had a nice bloom so it
>>> wasn't all stale.
>>>
>>> As usual, it has that rustic, old world, and odd complexity of an
>>> Ethiopian
>>> DP. However, I could easily taste why this would be a coffee Tom would
>>> reject. In the lighter roast (and hence the one that reveals more flaws),
>>> there is a definite trace of...well...dirt or earthiness. I know too that
>>> the cup consistency is probably going to be low. So the future cups
>>> could be
>>> different. It is still a drinkable cup, but compared to the Jimma, the
>>> old
>>> IMV, Bonko, etc. DP lots that SM has been offering, this is a far distant
>>> cry away. I know I'm spoiled when it comes to coffee, but I don't mind!

They say such nice things about people at their funerals that it makes me
sad to realize that I'm going to miss mine by just a few days. - Garrison
Keillor