[Homeroast] Aster Bunna Ethiopian coffee from Addis Ababa

sci scizen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 13:11:18 CST 2011

I friend of mine went to Ethiopia to adopt a baby and he brought back 2
kilos of roasted coffee in the bean for me, one normal and one dark.
It is the Aster Bunna mark. Still degassing, and had a nice bloom so it
wasn't all stale.

As usual, it has that rustic, old world, and odd complexity of an Ethiopian
DP. However, I could easily taste why this would be a coffee Tom would
reject. In the lighter roast (and hence the one that reveals more flaws),
there is a definite trace of...well...dirt or earthiness. I know too that
the cup consistency is probably going to be low. So the future cups could be
different. It is still a drinkable cup, but compared to the Jimma, the old
IMV, Bonko, etc. DP lots that SM has been offering, this is a far distant
cry away. I know I'm spoiled when it comes to coffee, but I don't mind!