[Homeroast] (Rescued) Cold Weather Roasting

Ken Schillinger ken at whidbey.com
Tue Jan 18 15:47:24 CST 2011

I roast in an unheated (mostly) outbuilding. The problem is that the Behmor
will give a fault code, and not operate at lower temperatures. My remedies
are to either heat the Behmor with a heat-gun or hair-dryer, both inside the
oven and also through the cooling port on the end. This winter I bought a
salamander style heater (it looks like a jet engine and burns kerosene) so I
have the option of placing the Behmor in front of the heater output for a
minute or two, which will allow the unit to turn on.
Once the Behmor will start, I pre-heat the roaster and greens by putting the
greens in the roasting drum and starting the roaster on a P1 setting. I let
the roaster go for 1:45 and press the off button. I then enter the profile
and time I desire and press the start button. I have had good results by
starting with 2C (no scale) of greens, a 1:45 pre-heat, followed by a
setting of 1Lb P4 and running the timer up to it's maximum time. First crack
frequently starts at about 15:00 to 16:00. I am always there listening and
watching the greens, with my usual preference being to start the cool cycle
shortly after the greens are entering the 2nd crack. My favorite green to
use with this profile is a Chiapas. If I could have only one coffee from now
on, this would probably be it for me.
Best regards, Ken