[Homeroast] Homeroast Digest, Vol 36, Issue 17

John M. Howison johnmhowison at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 16:38:32 CST 2011


I'll never be a Q owner, but I'm enjoying the traffic, which reminds
me of my good fortune.  In a one-coffee-drinker, two-mugs-a-day
household, I'd throw away a lot of stale coffee if I had a Q.   My
FR-500, costing one-seventh as much, and with its clearly visible
glass chamber, five heat levels, controllable timer, and infinitely
variable fan speed, combined with my nose, eyes and ears,  produces
coffee enough, and enables me to control a roast quite as well as the
Q owners write of doing.  When line voltage varies, I, not numbers,
control the process. The small capacity makes it easy for me to
combine varied roastings and enjoy all the flavors produced between
City-plus and full-city-plus.   I don't shiver in my garage;
disconnecting the smoke alarm enables me to roast in a warm kitchen
while the Dutch Baby bakes.  Paradise enow.

On 1/17/11, homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
<homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com> wrote:
> Send Homeroast mailing list submissions to
> 	homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	homeroast-owner at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Homeroast digest..."
>
>
> Sweet Maria's Home Coffee Roasting "HomeRoast List" Digest
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Quest first roast (Barry Luterman)
>    2. Re: Quest first roast (Brian Kamnetz)
>    3. Re: Quest first roast (Robert Bedwell)
>    4. Two QM3 roasts of Limoncillo Pacamara DP (sci)
>    5. Re: Two QM3 roasts of Limoncillo Pacamara DP (Allon Stern)
>    6. Re: Two QM3 roasts of Limoncillo Pacamara DP (ricky carter)
>    7. Re: Quest first roast (Steve Sakoman)
>    8. Re: Quest first roast (ricky carter)
>    9. Re: Quest first roast (ricky carter)
>   10. Another travel entry - Southwest Utah (Greg Hollrigel)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:47:18 -0800
> From: Barry Luterman <lutermanb at gmail.com>
> To: homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> Subject: [Homeroast] Quest first roast
> Message-ID:
> 	<AANLkTinSNiFJUonjUvXqdsYnVWw3SP0TAsVB-DyLfRS4 at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Received my M3 Friday. I tried my first roast with it yesterday. I roasted
> in my garage The ambient temperature was about 50 degrees. I pre-heated the
> Quest  to 200 C  with the air volume on 4 1/2. When the machine was
> preheated I introduced 8 oz (233 gr) of my C list coffee. The heat setting
> was right in the middle. Unfortunately, I did not have a watch with me. The
> roast went on and on. The trier worked fine the bean samples looked good but
> I never smelled impending first crack nor heard it. Suddenly it dawned on me
> that the heat was not high enough on the machine to overcome the ambient
> temperature. As a result of the reduced ambient heat my beans were baking
> rather than roasting. This is a problem I have never encountered in my years
> of roasting in Hawaii. I immediately increased the heat and as a result my
> beans turned ebony shiney black with an oil sheen you could see your face
> in. There I was with a half pound of baked beans on the inside and burnt on
> the outside. However,at least , my drum was seasoned.
> Second roast; pre heated drum, introduced 233 gr of beans. noticed heat
> dropped 100 degrees. Cut back heat but not as far as the first roast and
> timed the roast at nine minutes first crack. The crack was amazingly loud.
> The sound of the crack reverberates in the bean chute and sounds like rifle
> shots. Cut back the heat and increased the air flow. The roast continued
> through first crack and immediately entered second crack. Dumped the beans.
> Turned off the heat increased the air flow to maximum and placed the roasted
> beans in the cooling portion..
> I was impressed with the cooling speed of the machine, the uniformity of the
> color of the roast and the sound of the cracks.
> After I cleaned the Quest an easy task. I went to Target and bought my first
> upgrade for the Quest. I purchased a Quartz space heater for the garage.
> More to follow.
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 16:28:44 -0500
> From: Brian Kamnetz <bkamnetz at gmail.com>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> 	list,	available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> 	<homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Quest first roast
> Message-ID:
> 	<AANLkTikodRuwY-jHTLmkSWXXb8+p5z3M4fYNVXkyTpV9 at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> Thanks, Barry. Great post. I felt like I was sitting right there
> watching. I look forward to hearing more as you learn about the M3.
>
> Brian
>
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Barry Luterman <lutermanb at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Received my M3 Friday. I tried my first roast with it yesterday. I roasted
>> in my garage The ambient temperature was about 50 degrees. I pre-heated
>> the
>> Quest ?to 200 C ?with the air volume on 4 1/2. When the machine was
>> preheated I introduced 8 oz (233 gr) of my C list coffee. The heat setting
>> was right in the middle. Unfortunately, I did not have a watch with me.
>> The
>> roast went on and on. The trier worked fine the bean samples looked good
>> but
>> I never smelled impending first crack nor heard it. Suddenly it dawned on
>> me
>> that the heat was not high enough on the machine to overcome the ambient
>> temperature. As a result of the reduced ambient heat my beans were baking
>> rather than roasting. This is a problem I have never encountered in my
>> years
>> of roasting in Hawaii. I immediately increased the heat and as a result my
>> beans turned ebony shiney black with an oil sheen you could see your face
>> in. There I was with a half pound of baked beans on the inside and burnt
>> on
>> the outside. However,at least , my drum was seasoned.
>> Second roast; pre heated drum, introduced 233 gr of beans. noticed heat
>> dropped 100 degrees. Cut back heat but not as far as the first roast and
>> timed the roast at nine minutes first crack. The crack was amazingly loud.
>> The sound of the crack reverberates in the bean chute and sounds like
>> rifle
>> shots. Cut back the heat and increased the air flow. The roast continued
>> through first crack and immediately entered second crack. Dumped the
>> beans.
>> Turned off the heat increased the air flow to maximum and placed the
>> roasted
>> beans in the cooling portion..
>> I was impressed with the cooling speed of the machine, the uniformity of
>> the
>> color of the roast and the sound of the cracks.
>> After I cleaned the Quest an easy task. I went to Target and bought my
>> first
>> upgrade for the Quest. I purchased a Quartz space heater for the garage.
>> More to follow.
>> _______________________________________________
>> Homeroast mailing list
>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>> http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820
>>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 16:46:23 -0500
> From: Robert Bedwell <rlb at triad.rr.com>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> 	list,	available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> 	<homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Quest first roast
> Message-ID: <6C57A9B5-815B-4F81-9BF3-9FFA9662420E at triad.rr.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> Brian....thanks for posting your first roast experience.
>
> I have had mine for over a week but not roasted with it yet.  Today was the
> first day in several weeks that the temperature has climbed above 40F.
>
> I have installed the EricS thermocouple kit for reading both BT and ET.  I
> have also installed an insulation blanket which may help roast in cooler
> weather.
> I have made a few dry runs on my desk and hopefully I will be better able to
> control the roast with beans.
>
> Nine minutes to FC is ideal in my opinion.  How long from the start of FC
> and the start of SC please?  What I am a bit jiggy about is the best way to
> cool the roaster down before going into
> FC and maintaining a slow rate of rise temperature from FC to SC.
>
> Did you have a separate AC line to plug in your quartz heater?  If not I
> would be curious the affect it has on the power to the Quest.
>
> Bob
>
>
>
> On Jan 16, 2011, at 4:28 PM, Brian Kamnetz wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Barry. Great post. I felt like I was sitting right there
>> watching. I look forward to hearing more as you learn about the M3.
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Barry Luterman <lutermanb at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Received my M3 Friday. I tried my first roast with it yesterday. I
>>> roasted
>>> in my garage The ambient temperature was about 50 degrees. I pre-heated
>>> the
>>> Quest  to 200 C  with the air volume on 4 1/2. When the machine was
>>> preheated I introduced 8 oz (233 gr) of my C list coffee. The heat
>>> setting
>>> was right in the middle. Unfortunately, I did not have a watch with me.
>>> The
>>> roast went on and on. The trier worked fine the bean samples looked good
>>> but
>>> I never smelled impending first crack nor heard it. Suddenly it dawned on
>>> me
>>> that the heat was not high enough on the machine to overcome the ambient
>>> temperature. As a result of the reduced ambient heat my beans were baking
>>> rather than roasting. This is a problem I have never encountered in my
>>> years
>>> of roasting in Hawaii. I immediately increased the heat and as a result
>>> my
>>> beans turned ebony shiney black with an oil sheen you could see your face
>>> in. There I was with a half pound of baked beans on the inside and burnt
>>> on
>>> the outside. However,at least , my drum was seasoned.
>>> Second roast; pre heated drum, introduced 233 gr of beans. noticed heat
>>> dropped 100 degrees. Cut back heat but not as far as the first roast and
>>> timed the roast at nine minutes first crack. The crack was amazingly
>>> loud.
>>> The sound of the crack reverberates in the bean chute and sounds like
>>> rifle
>>> shots. Cut back the heat and increased the air flow. The roast continued
>>> through first crack and immediately entered second crack. Dumped the
>>> beans.
>>> Turned off the heat increased the air flow to maximum and placed the
>>> roasted
>>> beans in the cooling portion..
>>> I was impressed with the cooling speed of the machine, the uniformity of
>>> the
>>> color of the roast and the sound of the cracks.
>>> After I cleaned the Quest an easy task. I went to Target and bought my
>>> first
>>> upgrade for the Quest. I purchased a Quartz space heater for the garage.
>>> More to follow.
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>> Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>>> http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820
>>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Homeroast mailing list
>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>> http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 22:09:43 -0500
> From: sci <scizen at gmail.com>
> To: homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> Subject: [Homeroast] Two QM3 roasts of Limoncillo Pacamara DP
> Message-ID:
> 	<AANLkTim9ZmY7X3A7zGb6Q1bTaC2tGf+LddxS2U63pZ95 at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> I've been cupping these two QM3 roasts, and they taught me that a slight
> variation in roast level FC or FC+ can create a big difference in taste.
> Too bad I'm now out of this bean. This bean is amazing at FC, but at FC+ it
> is not as interesting or yummy. The FC bursts with fruitness and a
> delightful aftertaste lingers long. The roast data is in the link below if
> anyone cares to look. I think the 250g batch size is a little ambitious and
> will probably cut it back to a 200-225g charge which would allow a faster
> roast ramp, more control.
>
> Does an FC roast at 12 min differ much from an FC roast at 17 min? How?
>
> My next goal is to learn how to nail the Eth. Jimma DP in the Q.
> Fortunately, have about 5lb. If anybody knows how, I could use a primer. The
> Q has opened up a whole new territory in roasting for me.
>
>
> Ivan
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 21:50:03 -0500
> From: sci <scizen at gmail.com>
> To: homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> Subject: [Homeroast] Two QM3 roasts of Limoncillo Pacamara DP
> Message-ID:
>
> <AANLkTimCqHGDjJoSHSo2X75-8UN_BXufWQYq2GaW+L8V at mail.gmail.com<AANLkTimCqHGDjJoSHSo2X75-8UN_BXufWQYq2GaW%2BL8V at mail.gmail.com>
>>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Here's my roasting log of two back-to-back roasts of 1/2lb roasts in the QM3
> If anybody has observations on what went well and what didn't in these
> roasts, please let me know.
> I'm trying to learn how to profile beans. The Q responds to tiny adjustments
> and a roast can runaway into 2C fast.
>
> https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B6grd3cLCblkNDJkMzE0YTUtN2Y1NC00ZDhlLWI3MTktNjQ4MTQ2MjE5M2I5&hl=en&authkey=COD8puwP
>
> Thanks,
> Ivan
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 22:48:32 -0500
> From: Allon Stern <allon at radioactive.org>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> 	list,	available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> 	<homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Two QM3 roasts of Limoncillo Pacamara DP
> Message-ID: <7B1917F2-785D-4DF1-A825-E44BCCD7FBB3 at radioactive.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
>
> On Jan 16, 2011, at 10:09 PM, sci wrote:
>
>> My next goal is to learn how to nail the Eth. Jimma DP in the Q.
>> Fortunately, have about 5lb. If anybody knows how, I could use a primer.
>> The
>> Q has opened up a whole new territory in roasting for me.
>
> In case you lost it, here was miK'es write up. I've had incredible results
> with this.
>
>
> On Sep 30, 2010, at 1:38 AM, miKe mcKoffee wrote:
>> Bryan's roast description pretty spot on. I'll elaborate a hair, start of
>> 1st ~11:30 targeting EOR ~15 to 15:15 not quite 4min final stage. AND it's
>> not ease off as 1st starts, it's SLAM on the brakes! just short of
>> stalling
>> or final stage will be either too short in time or run too dark a roast.
>> Of
>> course how "your brakes" react depends on the roaster and batch size.
>> 7.09LB
>> Jimma (to yield 6lb roasted) in USRC 3k I'm slamming the brakes dropping
>> flame and kicking up air-flow to max hitting first, then minute and half
>> later dropping airflow again:) Airflow and drum roasting can be a paradox,
>> higher airflow can increase rate of roast by increasing convection but it
>> can also slow roast by flushing out heat, interesting balancing act to
>> learn
>> and continue learning... FWIW dropping Jimma at about 432f, City+, ~20 to
>> 25f before anticipated 2nd. A big key is a well developed start of 1st
>> through finish stage of ~3:45 NEVER stalling. Control of your roaster is
>> King, no matter what roaster.
>
>
> and
>
> On Oct 10, 2010, at 9:13 PM, miKe mcKoffee wrote:
>> Nobody asked, though I think I did post my rough profile in different
>> thread, but to avoid ruining a stellar bean with not so successful roasts
>> might I suggest:
>>
>> For drum roaster:
>> 300f 6min
>> 405f 12min Start of true 1st, not earlies
>> 432f 15:15 EOR
>> (bean mass temps)
>>
>> For air roaster (with the caveat I haven't air roasted this bean, strictly
>> based on 6 years or so experience controlled profile Caffe' Rosto
>> roasting):
>> 300f 5min
>> 405f 11min
>> 432f 14:15
>>
>> If you can't control your roaster all bets are off...
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 22:51:22 -0500
> From: ricky carter <rickylc99 at gmail.com>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> 	list,	available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> 	<homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Two QM3 roasts of Limoncillo Pacamara DP
> Message-ID:
> 	<AANLkTikeX4N8q8CXgqaVM9L8vBnoYE-QgkwJgdAGarYp at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Ivan,
>
> It looks to me that you had a lot more that just roast level differing
> between these roasts.
>
> It may not only be roast level, but ramp and finish time that are at play
> here.
>
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 10:09 PM, sci <scizen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've been cupping these two QM3 roasts, and they taught me that a slight
>> variation in roast level FC or FC+ can create a big difference in taste.
>> Too bad I'm now out of this bean. This bean is amazing at FC, but at FC+
>> it
>> is not as interesting or yummy. The FC bursts with fruitness and a
>> delightful aftertaste lingers long. The roast data is in the link below if
>> anyone cares to look. I think the 250g batch size is a little ambitious
>> and
>> will probably cut it back to a 200-225g charge which would allow a faster
>> roast ramp, more control.
>>
>> Does an FC roast at 12 min differ much from an FC roast at 17 min? How?
>>
>> My next goal is to learn how to nail the Eth. Jimma DP in the Q.
>> Fortunately, have about 5lb. If anybody knows how, I could use a primer.
>> The
>> Q has opened up a whole new territory in roasting for me.
>>
>>
>> Ivan
>>
>> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>
>> Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 21:50:03 -0500
>> From: sci <scizen at gmail.com>
>> To: homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> Subject: [Homeroast] Two QM3 roasts of Limoncillo Pacamara DP
>> Message-ID:
>>
>> <AANLkTimCqHGDjJoSHSo2X75-8UN_BXufWQYq2GaW+L8V at mail.gmail.com<AANLkTimCqHGDjJoSHSo2X75-8UN_BXufWQYq2GaW%2BL8V at mail.gmail.com>
>> <AANLkTimCqHGDjJoSHSo2X75-8UN_BXufWQYq2GaW%2BL8V at mail.gmail.com<AANLkTimCqHGDjJoSHSo2X75-8UN_BXufWQYq2GaW%252BL8V at mail.gmail.com>
>> >
>> >
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>>
>> Here's my roasting log of two back-to-back roasts of 1/2lb roasts in the
>> QM3
>> If anybody has observations on what went well and what didn't in these
>> roasts, please let me know.
>> I'm trying to learn how to profile beans. The Q responds to tiny
>> adjustments
>> and a roast can runaway into 2C fast.
>>
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B6grd3cLCblkNDJkMzE0YTUtN2Y1NC00ZDhlLWI3MTktNjQ4MTQ2MjE5M2I5&hl=en&authkey=COD8puwP
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ivan
>> _______________________________________________
>> Homeroast mailing list
>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>> http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 19:53:57 -0800
> From: Steve Sakoman <sakoman at gmail.com>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> 	list,	available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> 	<homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Quest first roast
> Message-ID:
> 	<AANLkTimVNw+bU6NC-vEQLvPF+35W3KCLnNux6kST3PSz at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Barry Luterman <lutermanb at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Received my M3 Friday. I tried my first roast with it yesterday. I roasted
>> in my garage The ambient temperature was about 50 degrees. I pre-heated
>> the
>> Quest ?to 200 C ?with the air volume on 4 1/2. When the machine was
>> preheated I introduced 8 oz (233 gr) of my C list coffee. The heat setting
>> was right in the middle. Unfortunately, I did not have a watch with me.
>> The
>> roast went on and on. The trier worked fine the bean samples looked good
>> but
>> I never smelled impending first crack nor heard it. Suddenly it dawned on
>> me
>> that the heat was not high enough on the machine to overcome the ambient
>> temperature. As a result of the reduced ambient heat my beans were baking
>> rather than roasting. This is a problem I have never encountered in my
>> years
>> of roasting in Hawaii. I immediately increased the heat and as a result my
>> beans turned ebony shiney black with an oil sheen you could see your face
>> in. There I was with a half pound of baked beans on the inside and burnt
>> on
>> the outside. However,at least , my drum was seasoned.
>
> Hi Barry!
>
> I regularly roast 8 oz. with ambient temps in the 50's
>
> I think your issue was that 7.5 amps (the center of the dial) isn't
> high enough for 8 oz. of beans.
>
> I'm looking at the data from my last roast, where the ambient was
> about 52F.  Here's what I did:
>
> Heat at 8.5 amps, fan at 4 to preheat (and for first phase of roast)
> Add beans when BT reads 200C, BT rapidly drops to just below 100C then
> begins to rise
> When BT hits 195C reduce amps to 7.5, increase fan to 5 (about 7:45
> after beans added)
> Initial snaps of first crack at 8:56
> Increase fan to 10 at 13:30 (to blow out remaining chaff)
> Dump beans at 14:09, at point where there are 1 or 2 snaps of second
>
> Don't give up, the Quest has plenty of power to roast at low ambient!
>
> Steve
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 22:59:31 -0500
> From: ricky carter <rickylc99 at gmail.com>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> 	list,	available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> 	<homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Quest first roast
> Message-ID:
> 	<AANLkTinhej6Rg+=zAY+svDwp5a3xnaZn6qJjN6iHG-x=@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> I'll second that Barry, I just finished a roasting session in an unheated
> garage where the ambient temp was 10 F.
>
> And I'm well away from pushing this thing hard. I use approx 8.5 amp setting
> (950 watts) and hit 1st @ 9 minutes with 1/2 lb load.
>
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 10:53 PM, Steve Sakoman <sakoman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Barry Luterman <lutermanb at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Received my M3 Friday. I tried my first roast with it yesterday. I
>> roasted
>> > in my garage The ambient temperature was about 50 degrees. I pre-heated
>> the
>> > Quest  to 200 C  with the air volume on 4 1/2. When the machine was
>> > preheated I introduced 8 oz (233 gr) of my C list coffee. The heat
>> setting
>> > was right in the middle. Unfortunately, I did not have a watch with me.
>> The
>> > roast went on and on. The trier worked fine the bean samples looked good
>> but
>> > I never smelled impending first crack nor heard it. Suddenly it dawned
>> > on
>> me
>> > that the heat was not high enough on the machine to overcome the ambient
>> > temperature. As a result of the reduced ambient heat my beans were
>> > baking
>> > rather than roasting. This is a problem I have never encountered in my
>> years
>> > of roasting in Hawaii. I immediately increased the heat and as a result
>> my
>> > beans turned ebony shiney black with an oil sheen you could see your
>> > face
>> > in. There I was with a half pound of baked beans on the inside and burnt
>> on
>> > the outside. However,at least , my drum was seasoned.
>>
>> Hi Barry!
>>
>> I regularly roast 8 oz. with ambient temps in the 50's
>>
>> I think your issue was that 7.5 amps (the center of the dial) isn't
>> high enough for 8 oz. of beans.
>>
>> I'm looking at the data from my last roast, where the ambient was
>> about 52F.  Here's what I did:
>>
>> Heat at 8.5 amps, fan at 4 to preheat (and for first phase of roast)
>> Add beans when BT reads 200C, BT rapidly drops to just below 100C then
>> begins to rise
>> When BT hits 195C reduce amps to 7.5, increase fan to 5 (about 7:45
>> after beans added)
>> Initial snaps of first crack at 8:56
>> Increase fan to 10 at 13:30 (to blow out remaining chaff)
>> Dump beans at 14:09, at point where there are 1 or 2 snaps of second
>>
>> Don't give up, the Quest has plenty of power to roast at low ambient!
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Homeroast mailing list
>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>> http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 22:59:31 -0500
> From: ricky carter <rickylc99 at gmail.com>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> 	list,	available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> 	<homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Quest first roast
> Message-ID:
> 	<AANLkTinhej6Rg+=zAY+svDwp5a3xnaZn6qJjN6iHG-x=@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> I'll second that Barry, I just finished a roasting session in an unheated
> garage where the ambient temp was 10 F.
>
> And I'm well away from pushing this thing hard. I use approx 8.5 amp setting
> (950 watts) and hit 1st @ 9 minutes with 1/2 lb load.
>
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 10:53 PM, Steve Sakoman <sakoman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Barry Luterman <lutermanb at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Received my M3 Friday. I tried my first roast with it yesterday. I
>> roasted
>> > in my garage The ambient temperature was about 50 degrees. I pre-heated
>> the
>> > Quest  to 200 C  with the air volume on 4 1/2. When the machine was
>> > preheated I introduced 8 oz (233 gr) of my C list coffee. The heat
>> setting
>> > was right in the middle. Unfortunately, I did not have a watch with me.
>> The
>> > roast went on and on. The trier worked fine the bean samples looked good
>> but
>> > I never smelled impending first crack nor heard it. Suddenly it dawned
>> > on
>> me
>> > that the heat was not high enough on the machine to overcome the ambient
>> > temperature. As a result of the reduced ambient heat my beans were
>> > baking
>> > rather than roasting. This is a problem I have never encountered in my
>> years
>> > of roasting in Hawaii. I immediately increased the heat and as a result
>> my
>> > beans turned ebony shiney black with an oil sheen you could see your
>> > face
>> > in. There I was with a half pound of baked beans on the inside and burnt
>> on
>> > the outside. However,at least , my drum was seasoned.
>>
>> Hi Barry!
>>
>> I regularly roast 8 oz. with ambient temps in the 50's
>>
>> I think your issue was that 7.5 amps (the center of the dial) isn't
>> high enough for 8 oz. of beans.
>>
>> I'm looking at the data from my last roast, where the ambient was
>> about 52F.  Here's what I did:
>>
>> Heat at 8.5 amps, fan at 4 to preheat (and for first phase of roast)
>> Add beans when BT reads 200C, BT rapidly drops to just below 100C then
>> begins to rise
>> When BT hits 195C reduce amps to 7.5, increase fan to 5 (about 7:45
>> after beans added)
>> Initial snaps of first crack at 8:56
>> Increase fan to 10 at 13:30 (to blow out remaining chaff)
>> Dump beans at 14:09, at point where there are 1 or 2 snaps of second
>>
>> Don't give up, the Quest has plenty of power to roast at low ambient!
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Homeroast mailing list
>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>> http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 10
> Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 07:08:20 -0800
> From: Greg Hollrigel <ghollrigel at gmail.com>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> 	list,	available at http://www.sweemarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> 	<homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: [Homeroast] Another travel entry - Southwest Utah
> Message-ID:
> 	<AANLkTimzjPksEmWJwcZ1-jQcKtFtkhtPQ2Ln7j7-u4K4 at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Good morning fellow roasters.  Following on to earlier messages, I thought I
> would send a message for a surprising find in good coffee in Southwest
> Utah.  If you're ever traveling up the 15 and manage to go through Cedar
> City (where Southern Utah University is) and are craving a decent cup of
> coffee, based on one visit, I can recommend The Grind on Main St.  They
> serve a coffee roasted by Ibis (sp?).  I ordered a latte since I've been a
> week without my milk drinks, and it was very good.  Good sweet microfoam and
> the coffee tasted like coffee and not coal.  Their baked goods are also
> delicious.  So instead of some major chains, I would give The Grind a try,
> if you're in the area and the mood.
>
> And, also for those visiting Bryce Canyon areas, there apparently is a place
> in a small town called Panguitch, named Buffalo Java (I believe) that is
> also supposed to be pretty good.  I couldn't make it over there easily due
> to winter road closures, and I wasn't going to drag my better 1/2 and the
> children an hour and a half to satisfy my curiosity, especially when there
> is good skiing and snowboarding to be had.
>
> Hope this helps some other travelers out in the future.
>
> Off to the snow!  :-)
>
> Greg
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
>
> End of Homeroast Digest, Vol 36, Issue 17
> *****************************************
>


-- 
Contra muros, mater rubicolla



More information about the Homeroast mailing list