[Homeroast] Quest first roast

Steve Sakoman sakoman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 21:53:57 CST 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Barry Luterman <lutermanb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Received my M3 Friday. I tried my first roast with it yesterday. I roasted
> in my garage The ambient temperature was about 50 degrees. I pre-heated the
> Quest  to 200 C  with the air volume on 4 1/2. When the machine was
> preheated I introduced 8 oz (233 gr) of my C list coffee. The heat setting
> was right in the middle. Unfortunately, I did not have a watch with me. The
> roast went on and on. The trier worked fine the bean samples looked good but
> I never smelled impending first crack nor heard it. Suddenly it dawned on me
> that the heat was not high enough on the machine to overcome the ambient
> temperature. As a result of the reduced ambient heat my beans were baking
> rather than roasting. This is a problem I have never encountered in my years
> of roasting in Hawaii. I immediately increased the heat and as a result my
> beans turned ebony shiney black with an oil sheen you could see your face
> in. There I was with a half pound of baked beans on the inside and burnt on
> the outside. However,at least , my drum was seasoned.

Hi Barry!

I regularly roast 8 oz. with ambient temps in the 50's

I think your issue was that 7.5 amps (the center of the dial) isn't
high enough for 8 oz. of beans.

I'm looking at the data from my last roast, where the ambient was
about 52F.  Here's what I did:

Heat at 8.5 amps, fan at 4 to preheat (and for first phase of roast)
Add beans when BT reads 200C, BT rapidly drops to just below 100C then
begins to rise
When BT hits 195C reduce amps to 7.5, increase fan to 5 (about 7:45
after beans added)
Initial snaps of first crack at 8:56
Increase fan to 10 at 13:30 (to blow out remaining chaff)
Dump beans at 14:09, at point where there are 1 or 2 snaps of second

Don't give up, the Quest has plenty of power to roast at low ambient!

Steve