[Homeroast] QM3 arrives today!! My first blush review.

sci scizen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 18:28:07 CST 2011

Thanks miKe and Robert,
It is easy to see the BT probe in contact with the beans when you take the
trier out. With a small flashlight, you can peer into the chamber and see
the beans churning and tumbling all around the probe. I think the probe will
respond better to larger charges, but even with the 125g charge, it was
covered with bean mass. Nice. The BT probe was much slower to respond than
the ET probe, just as one would expect.

For my first roasts, I used Arpi's "Unoffical Q3 manual" suggestions and
some other posted suggestions. It is pretty straightforward. Turn the
amperage knob up to 8A with the fan on 4, the lowest setting that still
draws air through the drum. Wait 15 minutes until the BT probe reaches 200C.
At this point, BT is acting like an ET probe since there's no bean mass in
the drum. Then I backed off the temp to 190C by lowering the amperage. Now
the whole unit is nice and hot. Charge with 125g. Temp drops a lot. Set to
7A (the suggested setting for 125g), Fan 4. The only thing you hear at this
point is the beans churning. The machine is as quiet as a mouse (nice after
living with an IRoar2). It will churn beans right up next to little chamber
window. They are easy to see, even without a little flashlight. But I still
keep one handy, always have when roasting because it gives me the same kind
of light all the time. 1C was around 9 minutes, but I nudged the heat down
to 5-6A and bumped the fan up a to 5-6 and 1C lasted about 3 minutes. EOR
was 13 at FC. Things happened too fast for me to record the EOR temp but it
was between 200-205C.  I was roasting SM New Classic Espresso (I just
happened to have a lot of it on hand). I took one batch 10 seconds into 2C.
EOR was about 15 min/FC+, with an interval of 3 min+- in between 1C and 2C.

I'm still learning. I need to get a 5lb bag of some solid nice bean (a WP
central) and just nail it, and keep good notes.
With this machine, the possibilities are really infinite. All the settings
are stepless, analog, and constant, and the time length is your decision.
Only charge size is limited, but with 300g possibilities, that's plenty for
me. I think I could roast a batch to C+ in 18 min if I wanted to, or in 6
min.
Now I need to learn how to bring out the best in each bean type, what kind
of profiles to use, and how to execute.
Precise repeatability looks feasible, but maybe difficult for me. PID is an
option according to Arpi, but I'm not going that route for a while.

Ivan