[Homeroast] Back to Basics

Larry Dorman ldorman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 13:03:45 CST 2011

I've been happily using an scto setup for years.

*  If the sc element is still active then allow for the fact that it
is adding heat. Mine is still connected and after testing I prefer it
that way.

*  I usually set my analog TO (also sunpentown) to 330 for 8-10
minutes to start.  I then increase the heat to 360-370 and that takes
right into first crack if it hadn't already hit. Right after 1st I
lower back to 330. If I want second crack and it doesn't happen after
a couple minutes then I'll increase the heat again for a short time
until it hits.

*  I will lift the edge of the SC periodically to let it purge chaff.
This undoubtedly causes some heat loss.

*  I have a 1" wide aluminum yartdstick that I've shaped into a circle
with a hole drilled every inch to provide a spacer between the SC and
the TO. Without this .5 pound or more will get the results you're
describing.

* I've modified the SC arms to be paddles instead of wires. Without
something like this there won't be sufficient bean movement.

So...  Like others have said, it sounds like your roasts are happening
too hot and too fast.  Please let me know if I can be of any help.

LarryD

On 1/6/11, Alex Harvey <alexnharvey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Brian
>
> I think you are correct on the diagnosis: roasting too fast; burnt outside,
> underdone inside. I will search for solutions to this problem with SC/TO
> roasters.

Sent from my mobile device