[Homeroast] Rocky or Vario?

sci scizen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 13:23:18 CST 2011

Thanks miKe and John for the perspective. I can rule out the Rocky. My
purchase is no rush, just next. I have replaced burrs in the Virtuoso twice,
once both top and bottom, and the second time just the top. Replacing the
bottom cone burr was like getting a root canal. It was stuck on the shaft
and nigh impossible to twist off. I think the process took me close to 3
hours when I thought it would be a 20 min job. After that, I only replace
the top burr, which can be done in 30 seconds for $25. The Virtuoso has been
a nice daily grinder, and I highly recommend it, but I'd like to invest in
something professional without spending $1800 on a Mahlkonig. Often I need
to grind large quantities for an event or a friend. It needs to fit in a
modest kitchen, but since coffee is a priority, I'd even make room for a
tank like the Robur, if I could afford it. I have an SJ w/doser dedicated
for espresso, so whatever I get would not be tasked for espresso, except as
a backup. I use most of the types of brewing methods we discuss around here,
so I want a grinder that has the versatility (using the right modal grind)
for the broadest range of brew methods. On the occasions I drink Turkish
style, I use my Zass so that grind isn't critical.

Any suggestions on the ideal niche grinder?
Or do you think the Virtuoso is still it?

Thanks
Ivan