[Homeroast] Rocky or Vario?

miKe mcKoffee mcKona at comcast.net
Sat Jan 8 23:22:37 CST 2011

If targeted for strictly non-espresso grinding I wouldn't consider the
Rocky. I have had one for nine years, and while it can be used for
non-espresso grinding it is not it's forte'. Espresso grind ideally is
plurimodal while non-espresso unimodal, Rocky's burrs are designed for
espresso grinding.

I also wouldn't what I'd consider waste my money on the Vario for
non-espresso grinding. While yes the ceramic burrs will last longer how many
times over how many years would you have to replace the burrs on the Vituoso
to make up the cost difference? Virtuoso new $225, Vario $450. Top and
bottom replacement burrs for the Virtuoso $32, 7 sets of burrs to make up
the difference. Even heavy home non espresso usage likely need to replace
but once a year to keep Virtuoso grinding excellent not just good...

And since you already have a Virtuoso, have you replaced the burrs lately?
Why do you want to replace the grinder? Are the 40 steps not enough for your
non-espresso needs? (find that hard to believe, unless Turkish comes into
the equation)

Slave to the Bean  miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/