[Homeroast] my first real roaster!

Greg Hollrigel ghollrigel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 11:44:19 CST 2011

It is funny though.

As I'm sure you all do, I know several people who drink/drank the black
burnt coffees that are so easily available, and then when they taste fresh
cups from my fresh homeroast, they are always surprised at how amazing
coffee can taste.  Two recent incidences occurred over the holidays for me.

My brother in-law was staying with us, and he doesn't drink coffee because
it always tastes burnt and bitter.  I made him a small latte, and he was
completely floored how good it was.  He said he never tasted anything like
that before.  It was so good, he asked for a second cup, and now he is a
coffee drinker, at least when he gets home-roasted at my house.

The other instance was equally pleasing.  A friend of my wife's asked for
some comments on a vacuum brewer for her husband.  I gave her my comments.
She appreciated them, but emphasized that her husband is the kind of guy who
buys pre-ground coffee and leaves the bag open for the coffee to dry out.
So I roasted them some Panama and Sulawesi for them to try in their new
vacuum brewer.  They both came back to me saying how much better the fresh
coffee is, and the husband now wants to get into home roasting, too.  ...
and I smile as he starts slipping on the now formed slippery slope.  :-)