[Homeroast] Back to Basics

Brian Kamnetz bkamnetz at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 19:11:40 CST 2011

I had similar results when I first started roasting using a hot-air
popper. It was very frustrating. The beans would be a black oily mess,
burned, but yet have the thin, sour flavor associated with
under-roasting.

The problem was that I was roasting too fast. The roasts went into
first crack and then blended right into second crack. But it was just
the outside of the beans; the insides were still unroasted.

With the hot air popper, the "cure" was to drop from 2/3 cup of greens
down to 1/3 cup of greens. Once I did that, the roasts slowed down so
that I had a distinct first crack, then a substantial pause, then went
into second crack. I eventually increased the load to 1/2 cup with
good results, but any more than that would cause the roast to "race".

I don't know if this is similar to what is happening to you or not,
but the results sound similar, so I thought I would mention it just in
case. And if this is what is happening to you, I am unable to tell you
the "fix" with your roasting set-up.

Brian