[Homeroast] my first real roaster!

Kim Phipps kphipps at me.com
Wed Jan 5 13:06:23 CST 2011

So very excited--I just ordered my first "real" roaster. I'd been using the Poppery II for a while now, and loving the coffee, but I felt it was time to move on a bit. Since I'm in a small apartment and don't have an outdoor space, smoke was getting to be an issue. (I have permanently traumatized my dog with the constant smoke alarm going off!) So, I settled on a Nesco. Indoors, small batch, slower roast, less smoke.

So, does anyone have any advice to offer about using the Nesco? Little things to watch out for? Or, beans that you would recommend that roast exceptionally well in it? From the tip sheets on the SM website, I know that it does better with lighter roasts as opposed to darker ones. Fine by me--I only do pour-over coffee, no espresso.

Kim