[Homeroast] Quest: Engineer v Artisan, or Engineer + Artisan?

sci scizen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 19:33:45 CST 2011

Robert, et. al.,
I am using the Q with one temperature probe: BT. I don't bother with ET at
all right now. I plan on getting it set up for Artisan some day with the
right probes. But for now I log the BT every 30 seconds. I get very
consistent and great tasting results. I have a baseline roast: 200g, 7.5A,
Fan 4, Charge at 200C. [BTW, thanks to Bob, I have a thermal blanket on the
drum which helps]. From there some slight tweaks can be applied. I manually
plot each roast curve and they all look similar. I use the fan to moderate
the temperature, to slow down 1C and flatten the curve between 1C and 2C.
Hitting 2C is a snap, if I want it.
So, it's not necessary to have lots of instrumentation for basic
repeatability, even if it is desirable for precise repeatability. I will go
there eventually. I'm still absorbing the cost of the initial purchase.
Ivan