[Homeroast] Quest: Engineer v Artisan, or Engineer + Artisan?

Robert Yoder robotyonder at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 14 23:08:56 CST 2011

Greetings, all, and thank you for the continuing wealth of useful information!

I really hope to own and operate a Quest, but it's not yet in the cards for me.  Even if it became available to me, the next step of hyper-instrumentation might take awhile to materialize.

I'm imagining that coffee-roasting has existed since long before digital thermocouples and their accoutrements.  Is it possible that the Quest M3 requires these inputs? Software?  A MAC?   I wonder how/if the roaster might be used by us old analog-types?  Or is the consensus that the roaster's results, absent augmentative instrumentation, must be inferior? (I do concede, that, in some cases, instrumentation can help replicate an artisan-developed roast profile, and I'm glad to hear about it, in the off-chances that I will have a Quest, and, later, have the ancillaries.)

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!  A special Happy Valentine's Day wish to Tom, Maria, BOO, Derek and the rest of the SM Staff!

I just love the way you serve coffee!

robert yoder