[Homeroast] Quest M3 Discovery

Robert Bedwell rlb at triad.rr.com
Mon Feb 14 16:39:06 CST 2011

I don't think it is possible to get to 1C in 3-4 minute and can't imagine wanting to if I could.   Much too fast in my opinion.  I shoot for 9 min to 1C and another 4-5 minutes to finish.

If I see the heat close to stalling during 1C I will often turn the fan on a higher setting for a few seconds to pull some heat from ET.

I have also leaned that the Quest is more stable if a slow warm up is used.  I have had two very slow first roasts and yesterday I preheated slowly and the first roast was normal.  I am
sure the ambient temp affected the roasts.

On another subject I would like to hear how others are cleaning their Quest.  I broke my down after 10 roasts out of curiosity and cleaned it with Alcohol and Windex.  There was a heavy
collection of oils in the drying area and around the fan.  There was hardly anything on the drum.  I dropped the chaff basket in some hot carfiza solution and it cleaned it like new in a couple
of minutes.  It would be nice to drop the drum in carfiza solution when it gets more oils on it.

Love the quality of construction and the way it contains the chaff.

Bob