[Homeroast] Coffee price hikes smarting

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Fri Feb 11 19:23:57 CST 2011

The crime is that mediocre coffee is going to be expensive. Having to
pay a lot for an amazing Kenya seems less problematic. Its sad
because I think if we had meaningful reform on commodity markets, we
wouldnt be in this situation. Some say that 70% of the commercial
paper for coffee is held by speculators now, whereas it used to be an
exchange for the actual seller and buyer of coffee, those who create,
handle, or want to receive the physical product. Someone is making a
lot of money in this market, but it's not those who actually trade in
coffee...

>Yes a great kenyan will be much higher this year and many others a
>modest increase. Still for a fine drink as we can produce with the
>beans Tom sources it's still a bargain per cup or shot.
>
>On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 8:00 PM, sci <scizen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  The hike in coffee prices starting back in 2010 is starting to smart. I
>>  hadn't really noticed, but several people I know complained about it, asking
>>  me where to get good coffee at decent prices. SM's offering list also
>>  reflects the hikes. One article says hikes are a combination of factors,
>>  mostly supply/demand dynamics. Demand is rising esp. in China, and the
>>  supply has been lower than usual due to weather etc. Another report said the
>>  use of robusta in nasty canned blends is at an all-time high ratio in an
>>  effort to keep costs down. One of my favorite local roasters (CCC)  charges
>>  $14 for a 12oz bag of Kenyan ($19 lb.) and $12 for 12oz of Ethiopian DPs.
>>  Yikes. That is steep for most folks on a flat-lined salary. Several coffee
>>  junkies started asking me more about home roasting.
>>  Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>>http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820
>>

>--
>Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
>Amherst MA.