[Homeroast] Hottop Cleaning and Repair

Justin Schwarz houstini at comcast.net
Fri Feb 11 13:37:14 CST 2011

I got the parts last friday, shipped coast to coast in 2 days priority mail.  It took a while to put back together but everything went smoothly, thanks again HT for having a user servicable machine with basically an online Chilton's manual for it.

I have roasted about 8 batches in it since last friday, putting it through the paces and trying to figure out the best way to use it's programmable interface.  All but 1 of the roasts turned out pretty good and that was a Yirg that ran from 1C right into 2C, before I realized what had happened I was in a rolling 2C, I pulled shots with it today and the astringency is just too much of an off flavor to me.  The Sidamo Maduro, the other Yirg, and the DP Panama from Tom were all fantastic. I am really impressed by how quiet the machine is (except the beeping) really easy to hear the cracks, the sight glass is a big plus too.

There will be a learning curve, but with the addition of a bean mass probe next time I have the machine open, hopefully I can shorten it.  I am still learning how to get the most out of my BBQ drum and have been using that for about 7 or 8 years.  It is a fun little addition to my coffee world and I look forward to playing around with the profile control.  I have about 15lb each of Sidamo Maduro and Sulawesi Toraco WP peaberry and plan on refining a profile for each of those.  I look forward to roasting some of the beans in my stash that I have less than 2lb of without having to roast it all at once.

I think I will really enjoy roasting on this thing, in fact I might just roast a batch right now!  I can always give some to my neighbor that will be watching our house and our cats while in we are gone in Kona.

-Justin