[Homeroast] Relationship of Cracks and Roast Stages

sci scizen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 17:19:31 CST 2011

Bob,
I hit 2C around 220C or close thereto above. Hear the soft cracks by lifting
the chute door. I'm trying to hone my skills of knowing what is going on
even if my TCs are not working correctly.

Mike,
Thanks for the synopsis. I prefer lighter roasts 50% of time and look for
the milestone of the end of 1C, then look at color of the beans from the
trier. I'm not yet able to use texture as a guide, but I will start paying
attention. I look at my roasts under a 10x loupe, but not while roasting. C
is rougher than C+ and beyond.
So, if I hear ANY 2nd cracks, then I have hit FC+? Often when trying to hit
FC, I will let the early outliers of 2C be my guide for the dump.
Thankfully, I can hear well and the Q is quiet. I do use temperature, but I
don't fully trust my cheap TCs frankly. I have seen how easy it is for a
probe to be off by 7-8 degrees.

Ivan