[Homeroast] Relationship of Cracks and Roast Stages

Robert Bedwell rlb at triad.rr.com
Thu Feb 10 03:57:24 CST 2011

Ivan, at what temperature are you hearing 2C?  My hearing must be really bad because I have never heard it on the Quest.  I normally exit the roast at around 428-434 depending on how the beans look.  So far this has worked.

I am going to continue with 8 oz loads.  Right now most of my roasts are in the 13.5 to 15 minute times with the 1C starting at around 9-9.5 minutes.   If I am roasting 4 loads but have noticed that the first roast is always the
one that I have trouble keeping at the 15 minute time.  I am sure that I have not been pre-heating the Quest especially when the ambient temperatures are in the 50's.  I am going to start pre-heating for at least 20 minutes before
starting the first roast to see if it reacts faster.

I took the drum out after the last session and cleaned it after 10 roasts.  I was surprised that I hardly got anything off the drum while the pipe, chute and cooling chamber were caked with coffee oils.  Soaking the basket in carfiza and hot water
made it look new.

I continue to be impressed with the quality of the parts and the assembly.

Don't know why but Yemen Sanani takes on a different life with the Quest vs the Hottop.  It appears to have more flavor depth and not quite the earthy flavors....more like an Ethiopian Dry.

Bob