[Homeroast] Ping: Ira and Chris, re: Behmor

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 16:40:25 CST 2011

Scot,

Reply from 10.1.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255
Reply from 10.1.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255
Reply from 10.1.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255

Not sure if you asked a question, but it sounds like a good plan and I think
you'll see an improvement.

I've been sticking with 300 g loads (10.5 oz) and also pulling the beans
after they cool in the Behmor down to about 200 degrees (about two minutes)
to turbo cool them externally in a stainless steel steamer basket fitted to
a plastic storage cylinder with a shop vac pulling air through the
beans that I think has really helped with the results.   After the first
stage completes, I stop the Behmor, dump the beans in my cooler, then
restart the cool cycle on the Behmor. This last bit was based on SCAA
lectures where Carl Staub's experiments showed that the perceived sweetness
of a roast doubled if you cooled it to room temp in four minutes rather then
five, but the difference between five and six minutes was minimal.  Since
listening to the lectures and reading up about this, I started a two-stage
cooling process since the Behmor is very good at cooling the roast to 200
degrees but slow to get it from there to room.  I've attached an old roast
profile showing the cooling curve I was getting just using the Behmor.

You can also use tricks like leaving the door open during the cool cycle (I
do this anyway with a mesh letter tray to catch the chaff) and cooling with
a fan blowing into the Behmor if you don't mind Chaff everywhere.

http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/alternative-cooling-techniques-with-behmor-t11929.html#p142764

http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/cooling-roast-and-sweetness-t14211.html

I tried the aluminum foil trick but decided to clean up my chaff tray real
well (soak in espresso machine cleaner) but the heavy, thick, and wide
aluminum foil that you get at Costco works pretty well.

<http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/cooling-roast-and-sweetness-t14211.html>Good
luck,.

-Chris