[Homeroast] Baked Beans

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 11:40:50 CST 2011

My thoughts are with a typical commercial drum roaster you have a
stored heat issue as you approach 1st crack and want to slow/stretch
the roast.. Thus you have to lower the heat applied before 1st crack
starts. The trick being when and how much to cut back. If you do it
too soon and are sporting a large batch size you could exhaust
available heat too early. This is the time period when caramelization
(BT 360f -1st cr) is happening. If there is not enough heat for proper
caramelization the result is a bake tasting roast. This is different
than stalling a roast during first crack but similar.

Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
Amherst MA.
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/