[Homeroast] Baked Beans

Robert Yoder robotyonder at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 9 00:56:27 CST 2011

Thanks, Ed and Joe,

My sense has been that somehow baking (in this context) is usually interpreted as flat-lined rate of Bean Mass Temperature rise.  In my case, roasting with the Behmor, that situation possibility arises when doing the door-dance to slow the roast in order to extend the interval between First Crack and End of Roast.  Before learning about the door dance and starting it, I was getting some pretty unfulfilling roasts, and after I started the door dance, the flavors started to pop for me for the first time, as I was finally able to extend the post First crack time.  The operational problem was how to manage door-opening without baking by slowing too far.  You are dead on when you say the Quest is a better choice because it affords the means of assessing Rate of Rise, but so is Ed's highly-instrumented roaster (with, IIRC, a speedometer)(perfect!), and so are others, so equipped.

I have managed to get a sort of half-assed Bean Mass Temperature gauge into the Behmor, but it has only about Five-degree accuracy, so I can't get more precise in my attempt to maintain a slowest-possible, but steady rate of rise.

Incidentally, I cannot imagine how folks can handle all the tasks of reading ET, BMT, and door-dancing at the critical moments of end of roast.  I have quite looking at the ET (because it fluctuates with the power-changes) and busy myself with the door and BMT.

All in great fun and,

Happy Roasting,

robert yoder