[Homeroast] Baked Beans

Joseph Robertson theotherjo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 00:17:08 CST 2011

Ed,
Exactly my thinking.  Thus the flat line as I call it when the temp reading
from the bean mass does not change or climb through the start of roast
through 1st c and on to 2nd c. if you like going there.
I'm trying to split this discussion into two parts so I can understand it
better.

1st part being, how you physically bake coffee beans, I mean what steps do
you and I as a roaster go through to cause the beans to bake instead of
roast. I call it "Stalling the roast" for short. Now how you do it with your
particular roaster should be the same whether it's an IRoast2 or Quest, or
frying pan. As I understand it now.

The second part being what this actually cups out as or tastes like.
What I have seen with this thread is a blending of the two. In other words,
the baking of the beans and what baked beans taste like.
What it tastes like to me is not as important as how to prevent it from
happening in the first place.
Thanks all for a rewarding thread.
Joe

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 10:02 PM, Edward Bourgeois <edbourgeois at gmail.com>wrote:

> I've thought of it as the results of a stalled caramelization  while
> the moisture continues to escape and the beans continue to bake.
> --
> Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
> Amherst MA.
> http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/