[Homeroast] Baked Beans

Joseph Robertson theotherjo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 14:01:12 CST 2011

Robert,
as I can see by your responses above me there are about as many opinions as
there are roast levels or descriptions of roast levels.
As John touched on, I believe it has more to do with bean temp, bean probe
temp, than ambient temp.
The roasting school I went to for what is is worth, said it this way. If you
flat line your bean/probe temp for any length of time you will bake the
beans. As I understand it you should always see an increase in bean temp all
the way from start to drop or EOR. Now this ROC, or, rate of climb, before
and after 1st crack and after 1st. crack is where the skill comes in. With
out a good bean probe set up, ahh, all bets are off so to speak.
Much more guess work. Thus you see some serious Quest sales from SW's.
Joe

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 12:55 AM, Robert Yoder <robotyonder at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Greetings, great group!
>
> Here at the standards and practices institute (i.e. the Yoder Househole),
> we wonder if there is consensus on Baked Beans (coffee-wise).  We would like
> a definition a bit more operation-centered, as opposed to resultant taste.
>  What we seek is some kind of understanding of what it takes to produce
> Baked, rather than Properly-Roasted Coffee Beans (so we can avoid doing
> that).  I am roasting coffee in a Behmor, and have an ET thermocouple near
> the lower heating element and a BMT.  Thing is, in the Behmor, the ET swings
> as the heaters cycle, so the temperature sometimes dips during a roast, even
> though the BMT continues to climb.  Is Baking simply allowing any drop in
> the BMT before end of roast, or is it something else?
>
> Thanks for any wisdom shared, and,
>
> Happy Roasting,
>
> robert yoder

Joseph Robertson