[Homeroast] Baked Beans

Robert Yoder robotyonder at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 8 02:55:39 CST 2011

Greetings, great group!

Here at the standards and practices institute (i.e. the Yoder Househole), we wonder if there is consensus on Baked Beans (coffee-wise).  We would like a definition a bit more operation-centered, as opposed to resultant taste.  What we seek is some kind of understanding of what it takes to produce Baked, rather than Properly-Roasted Coffee Beans (so we can avoid doing that).  I am roasting coffee in a Behmor, and have an ET thermocouple near the lower heating element and a BMT.  Thing is, in the Behmor, the ET swings as the heaters cycle, so the temperature sometimes dips during a roast, even though the BMT continues to climb.  Is Baking simply allowing any drop in the BMT before end of roast, or is it something else?

Thanks for any wisdom shared, and,

Happy Roasting,

robert yoder