[Homeroast] Quest Amp Question

Mike Chester mchet at charter.net
Sat Feb 5 11:07:33 CST 2011

You are correct - 1250 watts.  You are not hurting your element. The
nameplate ratings are only an average for many units.  They are built within
a tolerance and your actual unit may be higher or lower within that range.
Also, I am sure that the built in ammeter is only approximate.  You would
need a more accurate meter to get the real reading.  The meter is there as a
reference, not an absolute value.  As long as it reads consistently, it does
not matter if it is correct unless you are giving your profiles to another
Quest owner.  As an example, let's say that it was off by 50% (it is
probably off by less than 10% but I am trying to make a point)  If would
show 5 amps when the real current was 10 amps every time. Since your real
concern should only be the roast results, you would dial in 5 amps every
time instead of 10.  The beans would not know that your meter was wrong, and
you shouldn't care.
If you really are running at 1250 watts, your element should be fine.  They
are made heavy enough to handle a small over-power without any problems.
Remember, the nameplate rating is only nominal and your actual results may
vary.
I hope that I have explained this clearly.

Mike Chester