[Homeroast] Behmor Door Dance

Robert Yoder robotyonder at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 5 09:06:06 CST 2011

Greetings, great group,

I think I sense some consensus on using the Behmor door to slow roasts.  Is there a standard "Door-Open" method?  Are we talking crack it open an eighth of an inch?  Are we talking wide open?  Are we talking holding it open some distance for some time?

I have mounted an ET thermocouple in the Behmor, but its utility is limited by the Behmor's own circuitry which cycles the heating elements to fight the heat loss caused by opening the door.  (So it's a little like Politics Polka: Two steps forward and two steps back.) My Bean Mass Temperature indicator is only good for about five degree sensitivity, but at least with this I can make sure there is no DROP in BMT caused by opening the door.

Any thoughts on standards and practices for the Door Dance?

Happy Roasting,

robert yoder