[Homeroast] Behmor or less

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 14:00:54 CST 2011

I recommend lowering the bean mass to about ten ounces at a one pound
setting for your next roast.

-Chris

Pecked out on my mobile phone.
On Feb 4, 2011 11:40 AM, "Scot Murphy" <deppitybob at comcast.net> wrote:
> Today was the day to try roasting again. Determined to make it a shorter
roast, I fired up the Behmor for 2 minutes at P1 before adding the beans
(Panama Finca la Camiseta), then set it to 1 pound, P2, and B.

> Apparently there's a heavy load on the grid today. Unlike other times, the
thing continuously cycled. My SC/TO used to do that once in a while, too.
Fifteen seconds high power, fifteen seconds low power. It took seventeen
minutes to reach first crack. Almost at the point first crack was done, I
opened the door for two minutes. Shutting it, I extended the time to the
max, 22:30. It had only started hitting second crack--and not a vigorous
one--about 20 seconds before the end of the roast. I wasn't hearing multiple
cracks until just before the end of the roast.

> I chewed on a bean. It tasted unremarkable, but not baked (yet). This is
the way the last roast went (Java Kumar Goesto Whitecastle), where
immediately it didn't taste bad, but when I tried it on five days' rest, it
had a distinct baked flavor. I couldn't get any more nuances out of it.
Eddie Dove told me it would have great chocolate notes and such after those
days of rest, but except for sweetness and a bit of fruitiness, it tasted
like generic coffee. I'm afraid the same will happen to the la Camiseta. I'm
going to give the roaster an hour rest and then try it on a different
outlet, one closer to the machine. I'll probably preheat it and do the
door-opening trick, too, but I don't want to see another 17-minute first
crack. I want to drink coffee, not bread.