[Homeroast] Behmor or less

Scot Murphy deppitybob at comcast.net
Fri Feb 4 13:33:35 CST 2011

Today was the day to try roasting again. Determined to make it a shorter roast, I fired up the Behmor for 2 minutes at P1 before adding the beans (Panama Finca la Camiseta), then set it to 1 pound, P2, and B.

Apparently there's a heavy load on the grid today. Unlike other times, the thing continuously cycled. My SC/TO used to do that once in a while, too. Fifteen seconds high power, fifteen seconds low power. It took seventeen minutes to reach first crack. Almost at the point first crack was done, I opened the door for two minutes. Shutting it, I extended the time to the max, 22:30. It had only started hitting second crack--and not a vigorous one--about 20 seconds before the end of the roast. I wasn't hearing multiple cracks until just before the end of the roast.

I chewed on a bean. It tasted unremarkable, but not baked (yet). This is the way the last roast went (Java Kumar Goesto Whitecastle), where immediately it didn't taste bad, but when I tried it on five days' rest, it had a distinct baked flavor. I couldn't get any more nuances out of it. Eddie Dove told me it would have great chocolate notes and such after those days of rest, but except for sweetness and a bit of fruitiness, it tasted like generic coffee. I'm afraid the same will happen to the la Camiseta. I'm going to give the roaster an hour rest and then try it on a different outlet, one closer to the machine. I'll probably preheat it and do the door-opening trick, too, but I don't want to see another 17-minute first crack. I want to drink coffee, not bread.

Scot "about 1/3 through my tiny stash" Murphy