[Homeroast] Hottop Cleaning and Repair

Demian Ebert coffehound at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 11:48:45 CST 2011

I tend to vaccum out the roast chamber before each roasting session
and between roasts when doing some thing with a lot of chaff.
I pull the fan off and wash the residue off of it and the housing
every 30 or so roasts. Filters last about the same amount of time, so
I try to do both at the same time. I try to take the entire back off
every so often to clean out the interior, but that hasn't happened too
often.
I only have had to replace the ben dump door and solenoid. Easy to do
and excellent instructions.

Demian

On 1/31/11, Justin Schwarz <houstini at comcast.net> wrote:
> Just got back from a trip to Portland to pick up Barry's old Hottop and
> spend a nice day with the family that included some nice stops for espresso
> and lunch @ Kennedy school.
>
> Barry made me a deal that I couldn't refuse on his old "P" model with the
> caveat that it may need some parts to get it in full working order and no
> promises were made about the roaster.  Well, a deal is a deal and I was
> excited to have a roaster that I can use at my house, without going to my
> parents to use my NG BBQ drum.
>
> I was home for less than 20 minutes and had it opened up to figure out how
> to replace the element and the temperature sensor. When I took the back
> cover off, I was greeted by a small avalanche of chaff.  I grabbed the
> vacuum and got as much as I could right away, as I was doing this on my
> kitchen counter.  I realized that I would have to disassemble the roaster
> further to completely remove the chaff from inside of the back compartment.
>
> After all of the chaff was gone and I got a good look at how the roaster
> operates I began to see how the roaster is able to build up chaff so easily
> in that compartment and became aware that would be something I would have to
> remember to clean.  How often?
>
> My next step was to pull the element that had warped over 5 or so years of
> use and see if I couldn't bend it back straight and get some more use out of
> it.  It was warped pretty badly and I tried to gently bend it back into
> place, and then snap! I was fully prepared to replace this part and was not
> surprised when I snapped the element.
>
> I will wait until I get my replacement parts to replace the temp sensor, but
> it appears to be a pretty easy part.  It is nice that Hottop USA has such
> detailed repair instructions and I look forward to having the roaster up and
> running soon.
>
> While I have the HT apart is there anything else that I should inspect or
> possibly replace while I am in there?  What are others doing about the chaff
> buildup in the back compartment?
>
> -Justin

Sent from my mobile device