[Homeroast] Quest Amp Question

Mike Chester mchet at charter.net
Thu Feb 3 15:15:53 CST 2011

20 amps is the maximum that the circuit will handle.  Your heating element
draws 11 amps at full power.  That sounds correct.  Without getting
technical, think of it as you have a gallon of water available, but your
glass only holds a quart.  You can fill the glass with water left over.
This is not a good analogy as electricity and water are quite different, but
you probably get the idea.  Now more technical - The element has a
resistance measured in ohms.  The voltage is relatively constant at 110-120
Volts. the formula for current is I=E/R (amps = volts divided by ohms)  The
resistance of the element changes as it heats up, but for practical
calculations, you figure it as relatively constant.  If you have 110 volts
and the heater is 10 ohms, you will draw 11 amps.  (110/10 = 11) When you
adjust the rheostat to set the current, you are actually changing the
voltage going to the heater.  Lower voltage results in lower current and
higher voltage results in higher currents.  If you were to turn it down to 5
amps, that would mean that you have lowered the voltage to 50 volts, etc.  I
hope that I have helped.

Mike Chester