[Homeroast] Roasting and making coffee at high altitude

Jim and Tina Wheeler jtwheeler at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 11:52:23 CST 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Frank Parth <fparth at mac.com> wrote:
> Phil,
> My wife has a house in Incline Village, NV, on the shores of Lake Tahoe. We
> go there for some skiing in the winter and hiking/fishing in the summer.
>
> At 7200 feet we face this problem every trip. For me what works is to grind
> a little finer and to steep a little longerthan I do at home. At a boiling
> temp of 198 you just can't extract flavors as fast.
>
> Frank

Out here in the west desert of Utah, we are at 4600 feet and
discovered long ago that grinding as fine as practical and steeping a
bit longer works.  Roasting when the outside temp is below zero isn't
attractive and I roast coffee in our unheated shop (currently at 48
degrees).

--
Jim in Skull Valley