[Homeroast] Roasting and making coffee at high altitude

Phil Palmintere phil.palmintere at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 09:23:10 CST 2011

We moved up to Park City, UT for ski season, and my roasting and vac pot
coffee have been below my previous achievements.

It's too cold to roast outside (yesterday morning it was about -9 degrees
F), so I roast in the heated garage - a steady 55 degrees. It seems to me
that it takes an extra minute or two to achieve 1st crack with this setup.
 I keep my Gene Cafe on a rolling cart with an extension cord (12 gauge wire
)& when it is time to go into cooling mode, I roll the whole cart outside so
it gets a little help in cooling from the brisk air.

And then making a vac pot at 7500+ feet elevation - well, it just hasn't
turned out to be as tasty as I've come to expect at sea level. A quick
google search says the boiling point of water at this altitude is about 198
degrees, which may account for my less-than-desired results.

Do any of you have experience roasting / making coffee at altitude?