[Homeroast] Hottop Cleaning and Repair

Tim TenClay teejtc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 08:48:57 CST 2011

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I've found that it roasts just fine
without the back filter in at all.....

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Mike Koenig <koenig.mike at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I have mine open, I usually hose down the main board with some
> electronics cleaner spray, just in case there is any residue that can
> affect
> the operation of the electronics.  I've never had such a problem, but it's
> habit I developed from my old i-Roast (where is was a problem).
>
> I don't open mine up as often as I should either (once every few months
> roasting 2 batches/week),  and haven't had any issues.  The only thing that
> worries me a little is the amount of oily residue that builds up on the
> motor housing.
>
> I also keep the filters clean by putting it in the dishwasher. (I have two
> and rotate between them).
>
> --mike
>

> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 11:06 PM, Justin Schwarz <houstini at comcast.net
> >wrote:
>
> > Just got back from a trip to Portland to pick up Barry's old Hottop and
> > spend a nice day with the family that included some nice stops for
> espresso
> > and lunch @ Kennedy school.
> >
> > Barry made me a deal that I couldn't refuse on his old "P" model with the
> > caveat that it may need some parts to get it in full working order and no
> > promises were made about the roaster.  Well, a deal is a deal and I was
> > excited to have a roaster that I can use at my house, without going to my
> > parents to use my NG BBQ drum.
> >
> > I was home for less than 20 minutes and had it opened up to figure out
> how
> > to replace the element and the temperature sensor. When I took the back
> > cover off, I was greeted by a small avalanche of chaff.  I grabbed the
> > vacuum and got as much as I could right away, as I was doing this on my
> > kitchen counter.  I realized that I would have to disassemble the roaster
> > further to completely remove the chaff from inside of the back
> compartment.
> >
> > After all of the chaff was gone and I got a good look at how the roaster
> > operates I began to see how the roaster is able to build up chaff so
> easily
> > in that compartment and became aware that would be something I would have
> > remember to clean.  How often?
> >
> > My next step was to pull the element that had warped over 5 or so years
> of
> > use and see if I couldn't bend it back straight and get some more use out
> of
> > it.  It was warped pretty badly and I tried to gently bend it back into
> > place, and then snap! I was fully prepared to replace this part and was
> not
> > surprised when I snapped the element.
> >
> > I will wait until I get my replacement parts to replace the temp sensor,
> > but it appears to be a pretty easy part.  It is nice that Hottop USA has
> > such detailed repair instructions and I look forward to having the
> roaster
> > up and running soon.

> [...]

This message may contain information which is privileged or confidential; if
you are not the intended recipient, please delete immediately.  Do not
forward or make any of the above content publicly available without
permission of the original author.
--
Rev. Tim TenClay, D.Min.
Personal Blog: http://lexorandi.tenclay.org