[Homeroast] Hottop Cleaning and Repair

Tim TenClay teejtc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 04:34:25 CST 2011

I've noticed the same chaff buildup but have only bothered to do a
massive-take-apart-and-clean once.  I do occasionally vacuum the "backside"
of the roaster and also vacuum out the inside (the chaff collector doesn't
really collect all of the chaff - it also collects on the bottom of the
roast chamber toward the back.   As a whole, though, I haven't found it to
be a problem and, after about 5 or 6 years of use have had NO fire problems
or overheating issues.

I've only really replaced the bean-in chute and the temp. sensor - both were
easy as pie.

Grace and Peace,
  `tim

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 11:06 PM, Justin Schwarz <houstini at comcast.net>wrote:

> Just got back from a trip to Portland to pick up Barry's old Hottop and
> spend a nice day with the family that included some nice stops for espresso
> and lunch @ Kennedy school.
>
> Barry made me a deal that I couldn't refuse on his old "P" model with the
> caveat that it may need some parts to get it in full working order and no
> promises were made about the roaster.  Well, a deal is a deal and I was
> excited to have a roaster that I can use at my house, without going to my
> parents to use my NG BBQ drum.
>
> I was home for less than 20 minutes and had it opened up to figure out how
> to replace the element and the temperature sensor. When I took the back
> cover off, I was greeted by a small avalanche of chaff.  I grabbed the
> vacuum and got as much as I could right away, as I was doing this on my
> kitchen counter.  I realized that I would have to disassemble the roaster
> further to completely remove the chaff from inside of the back compartment.
>
> After all of the chaff was gone and I got a good look at how the roaster
> operates I began to see how the roaster is able to build up chaff so easily
> in that compartment and became aware that would be something I would have to
> remember to clean.  How often?
>
> My next step was to pull the element that had warped over 5 or so years of
> use and see if I couldn't bend it back straight and get some more use out of
> it.  It was warped pretty badly and I tried to gently bend it back into
> place, and then snap! I was fully prepared to replace this part and was not
> surprised when I snapped the element.
>
> I will wait until I get my replacement parts to replace the temp sensor,
> but it appears to be a pretty easy part.  It is nice that Hottop USA has
> such detailed repair instructions and I look forward to having the roaster
> up and running soon.
>
> While I have the HT apart is there anything else that I should inspect or
> possibly replace while I am in there?  What are others doing about the chaff
> buildup in the back compartment?
>
> -Justin

This message may contain information which is privileged or confidential; if
you are not the intended recipient, please delete immediately.  Do not
forward or make any of the above content publicly available without
permission of the original author.
--
Rev. Tim TenClay, D.Min.
Personal Blog: http://lexorandi.tenclay.org