[Homeroast] Sifting ground coffee

Jim Farris jfarris7 at austin.rr.com
Mon Dec 26 12:31:26 CST 2011

I don't think it makes much difference for any brewing methods but French press when it makes a huge difference.

About five to six years ago I began using a fine wire strainer to remove fine coffee dust and was astonished at the removal of so much bitterness as a result. It took me a good six months of going back and forth to be sure the sifting made the difference.

In City and City Plus roasts the difference is most notable.

The lost coffee dust is insignificant in cost but huge in taste improvement.