[Homeroast] Behmor 1600 questions

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Tue Dec 20 12:39:06 CST 2011

>>  Also, as part of my roasting process. I am trying to extend the
>>time between first and second crack as long as possible. Based on
>>information I've read before, I usually keep the door open a crack
>>once i go into first crack. But sometimes I'm not really sure when
>>first crack starts. Is the first faint crack that I hear or is the
>>first real snap. Any thoughts?
>
>I've had that problem sometimes with beans, especially decaf beans.
>Smell is a great clue, and color (again, not for decaf beans) can
>help also. Tom's pictorial guide to stages of a roast will at least
>get you in the ballpark, but I as often as not go by when the green,
>grassy smell is leaving the beans. There's a time when that smell is
>gone, but before you start to smell something more akin to smoke
>(you'll also see smoke start to come out of the afterburner). When
>the smoky smell just starts, second crack isn't too far away (ymmv,
>though). I'll also sometimes let a couple of beans sit in the tray
>of the heat shield/chaff collector. Those tend to roast more quickly
>than the ones in the drum, so they can be your canaries.
>
>The Behmor is a great roaster, but sometimes you're using your Jedi
>powers to get a good roast out of it. It's not a science (too many
>variables), and I've made my peace with that in return for the large
>roasting capacity.

That's right - we haven't really discussed the appropriate use of The
Force to roast in a Behmor! Well, definitely visibility of the coffee
is not a strong suit of the Behmor, and with decaf it is especially
tricky. I find that being able to hear the cracks really depends on
the environment too- ambient noise and such. And some coffees just
have better audible cracks than others. Then again, dried-out old
coffee tends to crack very loudly, so maybe a loud crack sound is not
always a good thing. There was an old patent for an air roaster that
actually had a microphone in the roast chamber! It seemed like a
ridiculous feature, but one starts to wonder if it is feasible at
--
-Tom